As an x-ray technician you play a crucial role in the overall health and treatment of countless patients who rely on proper diagnosis and who trust in the health care system to help them regain their health. There are a lot of duties that come with being a successful x-ray technician no matter which area you end up working in and under what conditions.
So whether you find a job in a hospital, a private clinic, doctors’ office, or health care center, or even in a government or military hospital, you will be required to perform a wide variety of tasks that you will have received specific training for through an accredited x-ray technician training school.
X-ray technicians work closely with nurses, doctors and radiologists, to ensure that x-rays are completely properly and that they can be used to provide proper diagnosis of the patients. Some of the x-ray technician job description duties that will be expected of an x-ray technician include:
- Loading, developing and fixing the actual x-ray films that have been taken of the patients
- Taking care of and maintaining all the costly x-ray machinery to ensure they are operating effectively at all times
- Scheduling the patients to use the x-ray machines
- Keeping proper records of everyone who has used the x-ray machines
- Transporting patients within the medical facility if required
- Explaining the procedure to the patient to ensure they are relaxed and understand the whole process
- Positioning the patient in the exact way so as to optimize the filming of the x-ray for proper diagnosis
- Working with the radiologist to determine the diagnosis and interpret the film
- Keeping the x-ray room clean and tidy and ensuring that all materials and supplies are kept stocked at all times.
In order to really succeed as an x-ray technician, you should have good observation skills, have good attention to detail, good communication and interpersonal skills, and be able to lift large objects and have the physical stamina to work on your feet for long periods of time and to be able to handle possible working in shifts.
Depending on where you find employment, the x-ray technician job description can vary slightly. The working conditions can also change depending on the environment. You may find full time employment right away, or you may be required to work part time or on call. Day time opportunities are available, but also changing shifts if the hospital is open 24 hours a day is also a possibility.
Of course, the salary you end up making will also depend on where you find employment. Larger hospitals in larger cities tend to pay a higher wage and the more experience you gain; the higher you can climb the pay scale. Many times, x-ray technicians are paid on an hourly scale which can range significantly from state to state and from institution to institution.
Regardless of all the minor changes within a specific x-ray technician job description, when you do end up finding that perfect job you have been looking for you can be guaranteed that it will be exciting, fast paced and rewarding. If you like working with people and contributing to a worthwhile industry, then becoming an x-ray technician might be the best decision you will ever make!